Wednesday, 30 October 2013

ASHA MANDELA;The Black Rapunzel ♥


I dont know if I blogged earlier,of my love for dreadlocks,and natural hair,generally.Having earned the tag "African Woman" from my African friends(weird,I know!) due to my love for all things natural,and African....its a shame I am mentioning this now! :(
But now that we are here,I need to say,just how thrilled I am,because by December,my nappy hair will be locked into dreadlocks!Yeeey!!Am telling you,my friend,Wambui,she cant wait to see my hair,locked!hehe
I have been obsessing with dreadlock hairstyles for me,for this Christmas!Ha!It did get to me,this locking thing! :) But,bottom line,I love the fact that I will finally ditch those weaves that Lexx(my bff)calls horses(or horse tails)!But my dreadlocks,are something I'll definitely share with you,when I have pics to show too!Oh,and I'm arranging my dreadlock photoshoot too!hehe..this is going to be awesome! I need to call Cacah..*note to self*
So,back to the lady on my title,Asha Mandela!Am jealous of not just her locks,but her name too!Mandela is quite a big name,you know! :/ Anyway,I was busy trying to find some fancy hairstyles for my locks,on google....and then,there it was,this picture of a woman seated,with a tress of locks flowing from her head!!I was as curious as always,so,I clicked on the webside from whence the picture came! "Black Rapunzel" became the the third reason I am jealous of this 50year old lady,one Amazing Asha Mandela! :)
So,I did the nosing around for you.All you need to do now,is sit down,relax,and read what I came up with...pretty cool,and informative,actually!Oh,and you could thank me later!♥

Now,meet Asha Mandela,better known as "The Black Rapunzel."

Asha Mandela has a lock on a world record that others might dread:The world's longest dreadlocks.The 50-year-old Atlanta resident has earned the name "the Black Rapunzel" because she holds the Guinness World Record for "World's Longest Dreadlocks," which she has owned since 2008.
Her dreads were officially measured to be 19 feet, 6 inches long, but an official measurement found one of the strands measured a whopping 55 feet, 7 inches.
Mandela first started growing her lovely locks 25 years ago, after she moved from Trinidad-Tobago to New York and decided to have a more "natural" hairstyle.
“When I first started, it was more of a spiritual journey -- It wasn’t anything to do with a fad or style in fashion,”Mandela said according to the International Business Times.“After 25 years of growth, my hair has really become part of me and I feel that if I ever cut my hair I’d really be taking away my life.”
But greatness like this isn't easy: She washes the dreads once a week,using up to six bottles of shampoo at a time.Then it takes two days for the locks to dry! :O And they weigh 25 pounds when wet.
She says the extra weight of her hair makes her doctors very concerned."The doctors seem to think I have a curvature of my spine and that it's the length and the weight of my hair that's making me curve," she said,according to the Mirror. "Some have said my neck has collapsed at the back and that I need to be careful because I could start having spasms
in my spine and probably be paralyzed."
That problem is mitigated, she says, by the effect her locks have on the men in her life."My hair has never caused a problem with intimacy.I think it adds a little spice on top,"she said.

......Wah!Now,this is just too cool to be real!But I pray that her neck and back stay in good condition...Even I don't want to see those beautiful locks go..no!

....uuum....thank me now,hehe ;)

...Now,let me find Babu,cause this hair of mine needs him,more than ever!Oh,and PS:If you are looking for a locking expert,eeeeer...not to brag,but Babu is the coolest there is!My pics are coming up,just so you understand what they mean,by "Dreadlock perfection! ♥

**********************************************************XOXO*************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment